Saturday, 7 April 2007

Empty

I’m empty today. Nothing to write about. Want to write because I haven’t missed a day since I started this blog.

It’s becoming a strain: wanting to write every day, finding something every day and then finally writing …. for no-one but me.

A month or so ago when I started I wasn’t bothered about blog traffic, I assumed I’d get some but it was unimportant because primarily I was blogging simply as a way of getting my thoughts down. Unfortunately as time has gone by I’ve found the whole rigmarole harder and harder and I realise that having some traffic would give me some encouragement.

No traffic = no encouragement … and so I’m left only with my determination to find and write – such as it is.

Bottom line, I guess, is that the blog isn’t good enough to get traffic and there’s nothing I can do about that: I can only do my best.

I’ll try to keep going for a few more days but if I don’t find the blog become a bit easier I think I’ll just close it down.

Still empty.


4 comments:

  1. Hello Calum, please don't give up. I know what it feels like not to have anything to write about on any given day. When that happens, I just don't write. Better to have the day off than to write something if your heart is not in it.

    About traffic, you may not realise, but loads of people are possibly reading your blog. I read somewhere that only about 10-25% of readers comment on a blog. So please don't lose heart. You may have lots of silent readers.

    Third, have you thought of joining some blog communities, and getting to know (and be known by) other blogs? Have you heard of blogpower? It is an initiative by small bloggers. We encourage each other by visiting and promoting each other's blogs. Of course, the quality of the blog matters, but everyone needs a step or two up the ladder. I joined a few months ago, and apart from the improvement in traffic, it introduced me to many wonderful blogs I may otherwise not have discovered.

    Please visit the blogpower blog at defendingtheblog.blogpsot.com and see what you think.

    Wishing you all the best. You have a very good blog here. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bel

    Thanks for your kind words. I was really down yesterday re the blog.

    I looked at blogpower yesterday having come across ianappleyard who has commented on your blog. Think I've a bit to go before I reach blogpower's standard but who knows with time.....

    Again thanks and your blog is on my list of those to visit daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is well within the standards for blogpower, whatever those might be. If you like the idea of blogpower, just join. There is so much that your blog can add to blogpower.

    Oh before I forget. If you don't mind, I'd like to add your blog to my link list on my blog. I assume you are a centre left blog, and I will add you to that category. If I have got that wrong, please let me know and I will move you to the appropriate category.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bel

    I am delighted to be placed in your link list: our left / centre left caegory is appropriate.

    I will reciprocrate but give me a few days because my blog isn't yet set up for links. I imagine it's easy to do.

    Finally, but most importantly, thank you for your encouragement. How could I give up after your comments? I wasn't looking for my plea to the ether to find anyone: I was simply screaming in frustration at my increasing struggle to write. I am so glad you responded.

    ReplyDelete