Wednesday, 2 July 2008

Irish to Resit Their Exam

I know I've come late to the subject of the Irish EU referendum result but it is still a live issue. Today the Guardian records that Nicolas Sarkozy is "to try to cajole the Irish into staging a second vote on the EU's stalled reform blueprint."

If the Irish are given a second chance to see if they get the same result should the 19 countries ,which have already ratified the treaty, not go through equivalent processes - just to see if they all still get the same answer? It's only logical after all. Why should only one country get two chances?

I know! I know! I'm being silly. Students who pass their exams don't have to resit them. Only those who failed initially have to resit in a second attempt to pass.

But the Irish didn't fail. They gave one of the two possible correct answers.

I'm confused.


3 comments:

  1. Some countries didn't get the chance to sit the test ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the point I think you are making: only the Irish people had a chance to vote directly. I wanted to steer clear of the referendum issue but 19 countries so far, by some mechanism, had the opportunity to say Y or N and so why should these countries not revisit the issue if the Irish are expected to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are thinking along the same lines.

    If the Irish have to reevaluate their Y or N I think they all should too! But why should any of them have to, they have expressed their opinion already!

    ReplyDelete