Sunday, 7 September 2008

Smile! You're On ..........

 

........  the dodgems.

I know this is not what you expected but, today, I saw the power of the dodgems.

As part of a birthday treat we took the children, and one friend each, to M&D's Theme Park near Motherwell.  M&D's is basically a permanent funfair nowhere near the size of Alton Towers but it's as good as it gets in Scotland.

Near the end of a long day the children were queuing - a small queue - to get on the dodgems and I was leaning on a rail there whiling away the time when suddenly I became aware that everyone - from young to old - on the dodgems was smiling, big broad smiles.  Bumping and being bumped made no difference to those in the twenty cars.  Children were being .... just children and adults were being .... just children too. 

Smiles and more and bigger smiles. 

Now, for sure, not all these people were smiling before they went on the dodgems but somehow the magic of the dodgems transformed them ... and me.  I started to smile and feel incredibly good simply because all in front of me were smiling.

This was real dodgems magic and it was wonderful. So many transported for a few minutes to happiness; their cares and worries left behind.

__________________________________________________

As I was writing this post I was reminded of some words I wrote in 1991 which are relevant to what has gone before.

I should mention though that previously I have posted some of my old words from 1991 and always, in a few days, returned in embarrassment to delete them.  I daresay this will happen again.

   "TIME

Rush, rush, rush, rush
Something's important
Rush, rush, rush, rush
Why? why? why?
Work is big, work is huge
I must not fail or fall
I must not fail
I must not fail
Rush away instead

But rushing loses moments
Of peace and joy and hope
To bring times  -  long times
Of worry, fear and dread

So bring short time into my life
Bring moments in again
Let longer time appear
As something not required

Bring moments in
Bring moments in
It's easy to think this
But every moment, at this time
Is fearful

So breathe deeply
Smile freely
Feel life return
Now and now and now and now
The moments have returned

So breathe and smile
It's simple
Too simple to be easy
Remember
Breathe
And
Smile
Again
The moments will return
To bring back peace
And joy and hope
To a life that's lost in time"

The moments returned to all at the dodgems.

8 comments:

  1. Great poem - it is good to stop sometimes and really enjoy the moment. I haven't been on dodgems for decades! Something to put on my "to do" list for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chervil.

    Apologies. I haven't visited you for a while. In fact, my visiting record to everyone has been very poor this last week or so.

    Time to shape up, Calum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More music!

    No, no, please don't take this down. Everybody needs to read and practice dodgem moments!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb

    "More music!

    Thanks. That's as good as praise gets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fab poem.. everyone should learn how to smile more it helps to keep you happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad the dodgems made you smile.

    Moments are what life is all about. Grab them, enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete


  7. Great Content.I have appreciate with getting lot of good and reliable information with your post.......
    Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......again, beautiful :) I love reading your posts. They make me happy . . I know something information, to know you can click here
    amusement rides brisbane
    amusement rides hire brisbane

    ReplyDelete

  8. Safety is very important when it comes to carnival rides. You need to select a rental service that will test the carnival rides before your event begins.
    You can also get an idea of how important security is for a company by reading reviews written by their clients.
    Don’t hesitate to ask questions about safety measures.
    You should also find out how old the carnival rides are and how often they are maintained.


    amusement rides hire brisbane

    ReplyDelete