Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Where Have All the Blogs Gone?

Where have all the blogs gone?
So few posting
Where have all the blogs gone?
So few to find
Where have all the blogs gone?
Gone elsewhere every one
When will they ever post?
When will they ever post?

Why have all the blogs gone?
Empty blogrolls ev'rywhere
Why have all the blogs gone?
So few to read
Why have all the blogs gone?
To rest or Twitter every one
When will they ever post?
When will they ever post?

With apologies to Pete Seeger

Apologies too for reworking a post from September 2008.

Very obvious on my return is the massive change in blogging during my year off.  Much of my blogroll is out of date, many of those remaining post much less frequently – other than James who seems to be waging a one man campaign to maintain a high level of posting.

Is blogging yesterday’s hobby?

Are we too busy now?

Is Twitter so IN?

Has the emergence of super-blogs - “super” only in terms of their readership and the high profile of their authors (I won’t name them because they’re not among my favourites) – created an underclass of blogs/bloggers who feel “why the fuck do I bother?”  I hope I’m wrong here – probably am.  This is a bit rich coming from me who has had more blog breaks than any I know.

Well, I’m back, for now at least, and I have actually written a post –  almost.  Never having been one to use one word when ten can be used I guess I’ll soon be writing epic length posts.

 

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I can't speak for anyone else...but I'm just too knackered to blog much at the moment. The blogosphere does get very quiet this time of year though..

    Hope all is well with you, BG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the time you have been away a lot of my original readers have deleted their blogs and others have become inactive. Recently I have gained quite a few new readers though which has also surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assure you Calum I have no plans to stop churning out drivel at the present. I know what you mean though, a lot of great blogs are now dead or moribund.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Calum. I did not even know as I had cleaned up my bloglines feed just last month and taken this blog off.

    Much has changed indeed. Some embrace blogging as if it were a job and others weary of it after awhile and cease. I am somewhere in between but more towards the latter.

    ReplyDelete