Sunday, 3 January 2010

All Change?

Just back from Tesco’s.  Now what’s so different about that?  Well, I always, always, take the car when shopping but with another fall of snow last night my car was content to sit with a snow blanket and let me go on foot.

The only problem was that I forgot that I had to carry the shopping home in my rucksack.  Bloody hell, 16kg – was so heavy I weighed it when I got home -  of shopping carried on my ageing back as I trudged home through the mat of compressed snow. 

Big lesson learned here and it wasn’t about buying less when on foot.

Why do I use the car for shopping?  In 2 or 3 visits I could do our weekly shopping and it’s good for me, for my BMI, for the environment.

All change?  Perhaps not. 

Could I change?  Do I want to change?  It’s easy to think but very difficult to act.  I’ll wait and see.  Says it all, doesn’t it.

____________

 

This afternoon I visited an aunt (mid-80s) with her belated Christmas present.  The swapping of presents was always my giving bought biscuits and she the most gorgeous home-made shortbread and tablet.  God!  Tablet to die for.  Unfortunately time has left her without the dexterity to make what used to come so easily.  Today I handed over my tin of biscuits but this year, for the first time, I had home-baking – not mine but Mrs Carr’s. 

This change come to all generations and I guess I should take advantage of the fitness and skills I have before time removes them to give to another.

All change?  Time does this for us.

10 comments:

  1. Well the first part would certainly help you with your biggest task!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't change too much too fast. Leave the car, yes, but... use the bus pass man! You over 60 geezers need others to do thinking for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bus pass hasn't bloody arrived yet. Probably three passes will arrive at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be a very good change! For you and the environment!

    Tablet ... mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bus pass not arrived yet? Get them telt! Shocking way to treat our old folk :) Or are you maybe meant to apply? Perhaps you have? I need to know, to be ready in six years time (unless the concession has been withdrawn by then).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I've bloody applied!!!! :)
    Can only apply 2 weeks before birthday but, with my birthday being between Christmas and New Year and all these holidays and festivities, there'll be nobody thinking and working for us oldies.

    I'll get them sorted today.

    I appreciate your concern for one much older than you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok. You sy you applied Calum, but did you post the application in the pillar box or in the bin? My Granny began to post letter in the bin and wonder why they never arrived :) Mind you, she was in her nineties at the time, so there may be a few good posting years left in you yet. remember these days the handy bins for dog poo are the same colour as the pillar boxes - it's confusing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew,

    Fortunately I couldn't make the mistake between the bin, post box or poo bin because I had to take the form to the library.

    Oh No! I think, by mistake, I may have handed it in to Waterstone's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew,

    Fortunately I couldn't make the mistake between the bin, post box or poo bin because I had to take the form to the library.

    Oh No! I think, by mistake, I may have handed it in to Waterstone's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There you are, Andrew, I'm passed it. You'll need to allocate some of your brain power to me.

    I've just noticed I've posted a comment above twice.

    Given your massive brain power about 0.5% should be enough for me.:)

    ReplyDelete