Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Lessons from Trafigura Posts

There is learning for me from my long series of posts on Trafigura, Carter-Ruck and Looney and I guess this is a good time to think about it because I don’t expect to get any new info any time soon.

The biggest lesson is undoubtedly my realising that I don’t have to be a reactive blogger waiting on information to be made publicly available.  Other than my long series of posts concerning mental health services and the Carr family, every serious post has arisen from my reading an article and commenting on it.  I may have searched the web for info and included this BUT I never went ACTIVELY SEEKING information from PEOPLE.

I did for the Trafigura posts. 

Initially I didn’t see how I could get any information but the more I looked the more options I saw were available. Although my investigations, if I may call them that, didn’t add to our knowledge I did get confirmation that Trafigura had lost. 

A door had opened.  I don’t need to be reticent.  I can phone or email people asking for information. They can only say, “No”. 

God, what an eye-opener.

The possibility of being proactive.  Yeah! I like that idea.

______

Other lessons, or rather thoughts, are much much less important  and concern blog visitors and comments.

Since Friday night when I first posted about Trafigura my readership has quadrupled from a miniscule number to a tiny one but the number of comments has dropped significantly.  Clearly Trafigura was an interesting enough subject to bring visitors to the outback of blogging.  Hopefully many (well, some) will return again and again.  Blogging, however, is also about engaging with others and clearly these posts didn’t engage with others or didn’t require any comment but I don’t think this is a reason for reverting solely to my normal style.

I think I’ll continue with my normal blogging but, if any other story grabs me, I’ll go investigative again.  I enjoyed it.  I enjoyed blogging in a quick update mode but not as routine.

I was aware that I could have held back some info and posted less frequently but I don’t think that would have generated the same traffic but the effect on comments I imagine would have been the same – a reduction.

_______

In summary, I’m delighted I discovered another more positive way of approaching blogging.  I feel good about that.

The effect on comments and traffic …. well, I’ll live with that.

What’s important is that I enjoy what I blog and I have  enjoyed the last few days immensely.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying blogging is the best way and the best reason to blog. Someone who regularly reads my blog told me that they had begun to take a look at your one and found "some quite insightful things there". I don't think any comment was left (yet) but an impression was made. It's another lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, Thanks for letting me know this.

    Currently I think my blogging reflects who I am and how I feel in the moment whereas, when I started almost 3 years ago, I tried to write a certain type of post. After that I was consumed by Mrs Carr's, our family's issues and the lack of help.

    Now that I am much less stressed I am able to post as me.

    ReplyDelete