Wednesday, 27 January 2010

Where Lies Truth?

How do we find the truth of a situation?

Is there more than one truth?

Is truth like a UN Resolution which is written so that parties can take out of it / read into what they need but such that no-one can say, “This is the truth.”

Why do I pose these questions? 

I am involved in a “situation” between a roofer and residents of flats – not my home I’m pleased to say –  with each party disagreeing markedly on what was asked for and, therefore, provided.  Each side is adamant that their “story” is the absolute truth. 

Because I am closer to one side than the other and need to get work done I tend to believe the residents.  They wouldn’t tell less than the truth and the roofer must be ducking and diving to avoid his responsibilities.

If, however, I was employed by the roofer I would side with him and see the evidence as clear.  My company tells the truth and the residents are pushing for much more than they are due.

Both can’t be right, can  they? 

Could it be that there was sufficient vagueness about the initial contract that each was happy with the outcome until the problems started?

I’m not looking for solutions to the roofer conundrum but this situation does highlight the difficulties in all areas of life with “This is the truth”.

How can we ever know the truth?

Where lies truth?

2 comments:

  1. It seems a bit like both parties had different expectations at the outset.

    Is there some way of a compromise result?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth is whatever Andrew Scott says. Haven't you heard? If that doesn't help then there is the small claims court (or just the threat of it) but if the contract was a verbal one, or insufficiently precise, that won't help much. Clarity in contracts is hard to achieve, but the truth is always out their somewhere, I reckon - I don't think there are different contradictory truths. My suspicion in this case, on very little evidence, is that the agreement was probably too vague (like many UN resolutions)

    ReplyDelete