Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Trafigura: For the Avoidance of Doubt

I realised late yesterday (Monday 15 February) that the title of my last Trafigura post “Trafigura Refuse” could be mis-pronounced and, therefore, the incorrect meaning be taken.  The correct meaning should have become obvious from the post itself but, for the avoidance of doubt, I issue a clarification.

The word “refuse” clearly has two meanings: one a noun and the other a verb [see the freedictionary here).

The noun is defined as:

“ref·use 2 (rfys)

n.

Items or material discarded or rejected as useless or worthless; trash or rubbish.

I did NOT mean to state, suggest or imply this of Trafigura.

_____________________________

The verb is defined as:

“re·fuse 1  (r-fyz)
v. re·fused, re·fus·ing, re·fus·es
v.tr.
1.
a. To indicate unwillingness to do, accept, give, or allow: She was refused admittance. He refused treatment.
b. To indicate unwillingness (to do something): refused to leave.
2. To decline to jump (an obstacle). Used of a horse.
v.intr.
To decline to do, accept, give, or allow something.”

I meant that Trafigura declined to give something i.e. the two documents to me.

_____________________________

 

I apologise to Trafigura for any offence which may have been caused.  I have also updated the original post.

No comments:

Post a Comment