Sunday, 21 March 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee with the MountnMonkeys

Welcome to another Sunday Morning Coffee music show but this show has a major difference.  We move away from the stars, the incredibly talented, the TV programme and return to where music lives, music belongs: with ordinary people, playing together, passing on tunes and skills, enjoying their music in their own homes. 

Real music.  That’s what I celebrate today and I celebrate all those who play and jam at home, with friends, but I do so in the company of The MountnMonkeys.

Never heard of The MountnMonkeys?  Don’t worry, neither have they.  As far as I am aware they don’t have a name: they just enjoy a jam. 

Why then “The MountnMonkeys”?  Because one of the players posts their videos under the  name of  “MountnMonkey” and, so, I christened them.  They all live in and around Huntington in West Virginia.

Get your coffee, sit back and enjoy real live music at home, or in the kitchen or garage.

Black Mountain Rag

Fiddle: Jim Marshall
Mandolin: Mike Marshall (Jim's son)
Lead Guitar; Ron berry (Mountnmonkey)

Real garage music! And a lovely bright start.

_____

Those 3 players are major figures in all the videos.  occasionally we get a wider view and see just how many are playing.

Midnight on Water

Earl (cat) makes a brief but silent appearance in this video of a beautiful tune.

_____

We move back to the garage and on to the fastest brightest blues I’ve ever heard but I don’t care.  It’s brill!

East Tennessee Blues

Thanks, boys!

_____

We have our first vocal now with Ron singing of an old man, with his dog, whose time is almost up.

My Little Old Log Cabin in the Lane

_____

We add a second fiddler now who is well-known in Huntington for his skill, his knowledge and his teaching – Tom Kingery.

Billy Williams

I have no idea who was Billy Williams but from this tune I don’t think he could ever have been described as dour.

______

Bluegrass Romp

I feel like one now. That has lifted my spirits …. high!  Yes!!!

_____

Only two more from The MountnMonkeys and we hear now another lively tune.

Virginia Darling

Another magic tune and mandolin solo.

_____

We come to the end of this weeks show with another song from Ron.

Life is like a Mountain Railroad

_____

I hope you enjoyed today’s show with a difference. 

Music is for us all and by us all.  The stars are great but below them are many many people who make great music without any hopes of stardom.  Real music is here.

Thanks Ron, Jim, Mike and all your unseen friends who are an important part of your music.  If you want to hear more of The MountnMonkeys then visit Ron and his friends here.

Well, that’s it for another week. I’m off to listen to this music again.   I hope you enjoyed your coffee and the music.   Tune in again next week and thanks for listening.

8 comments:

  1. That was an impressive bit of research there Calum. You have even discovered the name of the cat.
    wow
    Have you noticed how cats and other animals are impervious to music's charms? I wonder why they don't hear what we hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're really rather good, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked the music, James. This was an eye-opener for me to see how enjoyable their music was. It's too easy to view those who haven't made it as not worth listening to but that is SO wrong.

    The MountnMonkeys make good music and there must be so much music of this type on the web.

    JD, I should have put a plug in about you because you gave me my first link to the MMonkeys. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nae bother big man I found them by accident after finding John Hartford's version of Midnight On The Water.

    Here's another one. I heard it on Radio Scotland last night, first time in years and it made me laugh out loud just like the first time I heard it all those years ago-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zch5NQcmWKI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, JD.

    I remember once seeing Hamish in the Corran Halls in Oban and he sang Coronation Coronach - now seems to be called "Scottish "Breakaway". There's no video of Hamish. Can only find Luke Kelly's & Dubliner's version here.

    Hamish's version is on Spotify.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a quick word to say that MountnMonkey music is being played here in France. Really enjoy the 'garage music with dissinterested cat', we're more into 'basement music without cat'.
    Anybody out there got tabs for the mandolin parts?
    Keep it up Boys.
    Dan Hawkins.
    danhawk@orange.fr

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York and the music we played was just like you folks are playing. A lot of French-Canadians were there as well and what a wonderful time we had. You guys are great and take me back to those wonderful times.I am aso glad I found this site- If I ever get down your way I'd like to look you up- Best Regards,
    Rick rickr2@roadrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rick!
      Just found your comment along with many others here that I never knew existed..sorry for such a long delay in replying. Thanks for visiting and for taking time to leave your kind comment...Ron(mountnmonkey)

      Delete