Friday, 19 March 2010

Trafigura: Investigative Journalism

The investigations across several countries into the actions of Trafigura have been recognised as being of the highest order.

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists has selected the 7 finalists for the 2010 Daniel Pearl Awards for Outstanding International investigative Reporting and among them is this entry:

Kjersti Knudsson and Synnove Bakke, Norwegian Broadcasting Corp.;

David Leigh, The Guardian;

Meirion Jones and Liz MacKean, BBC Newsnight;

Jeroen Trommelen, de Volkskrant (Western Europe),

for their gutsy series “Trafigura’s Toxic Waste Dump,” which exposed how a powerful offshore oil trader poisoned 30,000 West Africans.”

I imagine that Trafigura will not like the last 13 words but I quote directly from the website of The Centre for Public Integrity.  Clearly if Trafigura object I will remove the offending words but I doubt I’ll hear from them: they seem to ignore all my attempts to engage them.

Well done to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment