Sunday, 11 April 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee with Mychael and Jeff Danna

Welcome back to the show after a week off.  Grab your coffee and I’ll get started.

A few days ago not only had I not heard any of their music I hadn’t even heard of them.  That changed on Monday when I was looking for some music related to Iona and I came across this lovely tune.  I make no apologies for playing it again.

Iona

[The pictures are NOT Iona.]

This chimed with how I was, where I was, last week.  This simply worked.  I looked for, and listened to, more of the Danna’s music and more met me and held me.  Thus they became the subjects of this week’s show.

_____

Who are Mychael and Jeff Danna?  Brothers, Canadian of Italian extraction, they are both composers working largely in the film industry.  They are not typical subjects for my show but this is my show and here they are.

Much of the music I have listened to is Celtic in style and I continue with that now with a tune from the album “Celtic Tale: The Legend of Deirdre” which is based on the Irish legend “Deirdre of the Sorrows” – here and here]

The Drowning Plains

This leaves me speechless!

_____

I’ll come back to more Celtic music but now we move to a religious theme and music from the film, “The Gospel of John”.

Follow Me

Despite being, and having the “sound” of, a film score, this piece moves me!

_____

Another film (Little Miss Sunshine) is the source for this next track

The Winner Is

Very simple but simply beautiful.

_____

It’s time now to return to the Celtic theme and another track from the album, “Celtic Tale: The Legend of Deirdre”.

The Child Deirdre

Moved again as I have been each time I listen.

_____

We stay with Celtic sounds but another album, “A Celtic Romance: The Legend Of Liadain And Curithir".

Love of Heaven  (Sarah Clancy - vocals)

?????

_____

A guitar piece from the film, “Uncorked

Ross Concert

Unfortunately I don’t know the guitarist.

_____

The last tune already.  Finish off your coffee while you listen to this, another track from “Celtic Tale: The Legend of Deirdre”.

Loch Etive

Beauty!!!

_____

Another week and this music might have passed by me without recognition.  I’m so glad that I was standing where I did!

Well, that’s it for another week. I’m off to listen to this music again.   I hope you enjoyed your coffee and the music.   Tune in again next week and thanks for listening.

9 comments:

  1. Sheer brilliance. Now, let me confess. I'm in the middle of blogrounds but you're always my first port of call now on Sunday. Angus is on the other days.

    I plan to come back and listen to all of Iona a little later, over coffee [just having cereal at the moment].

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, James. Appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaahh Sarah Clancy, she of Anúna fame. Wonderful as always - any connection to the Clancy Brothers?

    and the Loch Etive piece gave me the shivers (the sort of shiver that comes with releasing the toxic effects of the modern world)

    ReplyDelete
  4. JD I know what you mean. A few days there would work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always here on Sunday morning, discovering new sounds, sometimes with much emotion, always with a sense of wonder. Often, I carry on all afternoon replaying favourites. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a pleasure, Claudia. Thanks for letting me know your listening habits! :)

    Canadian too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has turned out to be late night listening for me. It is beautiful, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's 1:43 a.m.. Time to fall in the feathers. I shall come back, though, Calum, as soon as I find the needed 30 minutes of leisure; and afterwards let you know my impressions.
    The peace of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CP I was amazed when I found their music. Beauty from nowhere.

    Sean Don't forget your coffee.

    ReplyDelete