Monday, 31 May 2010

Music in the Morning - Monday

I didn’t intend to bring an artist back on for a second time so soon into the series but this tune and the performance moved me hugely.

Hector the Hero                        Jenna Reid with Aly Bain

Initially I thought, from its title, that this was a modern tune but it was written by the great Scott Skinner in 1903 following the death of his friend, Major-General Hector McDonald.  The background to Hector and his death can be found here and here.

Listen and be moved by this lament.

5 comments:

  1. beautifully soothing and acts as a refuge from the insanity that is the modern world

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said in the post I was really moved by this wonderful music. The arrangement is much better than other versions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. with the barbarians constantly dominating the news, we need more and more of this to cleanse the soul....

    Different style here but this one has been haunting me all weekend. It is a song about love and lost love and my tattered heart is repaired by the delicious voice of Guadalupe Pineda

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIWxS6_98t8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, JD. Will listen to it in a few hours time after I get back from a longish drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, calming music, Calum. I wish I could be in the background playing with them.

    Lovely warm song, so well rendered, JD.

    I woke up to such somber, disastrous news, and I said to God, "I don't want to know this. I lived too long. Take me with you." And then, I came to this music presentation, and I said, "Thank you, God, for another hour of life."

    Our humanity is so gifted. May the good in us win over evil.

    ReplyDelete