Sunday, 23 May 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee with Rod Stewart

Welcome again to the latest show and to a star I never thought would shine on these pages. 

RodStewart1

Rod Stewart is a Scot, born in the wrong country, but one whose music has passed me by.  I have no albums, no CD’s, no downloads.  Of course, I knew his music but it was of no interest whatsoever.

Why then do I devote the show to him?

I “discovered” Rod less than two weeks ago when I was looking for a musical statement for the ToLi coalition.  I came across “First Cut is the Deepest” and posted.

I was hooked on the sheer joy at the concert.  I listened, I watched, I listened, I watched …. over and over again and he jumped to the top of my list.

Here he is   ……  Rod Stewart.   Enjoy.

No! Not quite ready.

Two more things before we get going.  Make your coffee BUT please put it somewhere safe.  There’s a great risk that your flailing arms will send it crashing to the floor.  All the videos are of live performances – most from his 2004 show in London.  There is a magical vibrancy to his live performances.

Here he is.

Reason to Believe

There is a bit of an edit jump at 52sec in – don’t worry.

Music should be like this.  You’ll find that my musical comments are much less this week because I’m struggling to describe the experience as anything other than joyous.

_____

Rod was born in London in 1945 to an English mother and Scottish father.  Rod was the youngest and the only one born in England: the others were all Scots-born.

I had always thought that he started his musical career with the Faces but it was incredibly varied [see Wikipedia] but for me he will always be a solo artist.

_____

We move on to an all-time great – perhaps a bit of exaggeration but great all the same.

Sailing

Wow!   What incisive writing ….. by me!!

_____

I read that when Rod was touring the States with the Jeff Beck band that Rod hid behind the amps for his solo.  A dose of brandy brought him out to the front of the house and he hasn’t moved from there since.  He is so relaxed and so involved with his “lovers” all around him.

We move on with another live performance but this time from many many moons ago – 1984 I think it is.

Tonight’s the Night

Update:  I’ve just noticed that embedding is disabled and you’ll need to view this on YouTube.  Sorry about that.  Please remember and come back after you listened.  I’ll try to find a good embeddable copy.

 

Quite a bit younger but the same performance and the same audience reaction.

_____

Rather than knowing Rod through his music I seemed to see Rod at big football matches (on TV or in ‘papers) – Scotland internationals or Celtic matches – and I thought what a prick (sorry!). Still do in fact.  He’s Scottish for these big matches but then he disappears back to LA to enjoy his money.

I’m so sad amn’t I …. but there you go.  Not only music do you get here but me opening up my innermost thoughts !!

_____

A complete change of tempo now.

The Way You Look Tonight

A “not bad” performance but not up with the real crooners but I liked this all the same.

_____

Now I really love this.  Rod sings a duet with Amy Belle although I guess it’s not really a duet when you consider the role of the audience.

Rod found Amy busking in the streets of Glasgow and he brought her down for his London show at the Royal Albert Hall.

He chose well – she has a fabulous voice – but her career did not take off.  What a harsh cruel business is music when this voice is relegated to busking!

See what you think.

I Don’t Want to Talk about It

I can only repeat myself.  Joyous.  I can’t feel low when these are going.  Like the audience I’m carried along on a wave driven by the music and Rod’s togetherness with the audience.  Magic!

Am I going overboard … for an old man?

_____

If you’ve any coffee left, how?  How have you managed not to knock it over. You’d better phone for an ambulance because there’s something very wrong with you.  Even I have been up and out my chair at these and I’ve listened countless times in the last week.  For the rest of us the show must go on.

_____

You’re in My Heart

I’ve run out of words.

_____

We’re almost finished and our second last song is the one responsible for getting me hooked.

First Cut is the Deepest

I posted this on “Toli Coalition: A Musical Concern but there never was any doubt.  This was always going back in here.

When I found this for the earlier post I had no choice: the music touched me, grabbed me, hurled me out of my chair, had me dancing around the dining room, arms pumping and singing loudly!

_____

 

No! It can’t be!  Not the end already!  But it’s true.  Just one last chance …. although I guess I can play these all over again.

I remember away back in Dark Ages when I was doing my PhD my best pal came back after his summer holidays saying that he’d found the girl he was going to marry – an American girl with links to his home town here – and he did marry her.  Why do I tell this story here?  Their song was this one.

Maggie May

This is a difficult song for the audience but what a rousing way to finish this show.

Thirty-five or so years later, I wonder where you are now, Charlie!  Do you still love this song?  Do you still love your American girl?

_____

Despite the varied music we’ve covered in this series, today’s show was the most surprising.  I had written off Rod and his music.  I didn’t listen to it because I didn’t need to.  Rod Stewart – ugh!

What a fool I’ve been!  Absolutely fabulous. What a time I’ve had putting this together for you.  If you got a fraction of the enjoyment from this that I had making it then you’ve had a bloody great time.

Well, that’s it for another week.  I hope you enjoyed your coffee and the music.   Tune in again next week and thanks for listening.

6 comments:

  1. "Exuberance" is the word you are looking for!
    He was always a one-off was Rod the Mod. Mandolins? In a pop song?? In 1971??? Unheard of! I think he just decided to enjoy himself singing and the world was ready for that.
    First saw him about 100 years ago with The Steam Packet (Julie Driscoll, John Baldry etc) Last saw him in 83 or 84 in Estadio Vallecas in Madrid. He began the show by playing the theme from the Billy Cotton Band Show "Wakey! Wakey!" and the music blasting over the PA system and then came out and kicked a few footballs into the crowd. An old fashioned entertainer in a way.

    Here's another one of his you probably missed in your searches-

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpbR9Q-9o7E

    always liked this one. Didn't realise it was him until recently.

    (three weeks in a row - can you maintain this high standard?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. JD "Exuberance is not THE word I was looking for but it is a very good word which I would definitely have used.

    "can you maintain this high standard?" There's nothing like piling on the pressure! :)

    Next week I think I know what I'm doing but ... perhaps someone will come up on the rails.

    I'm delighted that you like the show.

    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To all readers of Mutleythe dogsdayout

    I am so terribly sorry to break this news:

    Rob, the author here on blogger of mutley the dog, and my beloved partner in life died peacefully in his sleep in the early hours last Friday, the 21st of May.

    I would have preferred to email readers privately. That would have been best, I know. So sorry. Simply it is this - I am heart-broken.

    At some near time I will post properly, as Rob would wish - a celebration!

    Regards

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you see his number with the Corrs? And I've being following J'Anna Jacoby [the mandolin and violin] for quite some time. He's at his best with a woman there [e.g. Amy Belle, Chrissy Hynde] and seems to gain energy from them, which makes his performances sparkle more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, James. I wondered who she was - she's really really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BRILLIANT!

    Really takes me back. Thanks.

    I was most surprised at how much I liked 'The way you look tonight'. He's got a great voice for this one. IMHO.

    Sadly, I couldn't listen all through to a few of them. Too painful - memories of lost love. sigh.

    But great to be reminded. Do they make music like this anymore...?

    ReplyDelete