Thursday, 3 June 2010

John Reid: A Man of Truth?

MTG left a very apt comment on an earlier post which is well worth repeating here.,

“We can as much expect our politicians to reward themselves honestly as trust them to utter a truth of any inconvenience.”

Mr Reid (sorry, “Dr”) is quoted in the same BBC article I referred to in my most recent post about Adam Ingram.

I’ll let you be the judge of how truthful he was.

On Sunday, Defence Secretary John Reid said American officials in Baghdad had given the wrong information.

He claimed it was "cock up" not conspiracy.

He told ITV's Jonathan Dimbleby programme: "First of all, they didn't use napalm. They used a firebomb. It doesn't stick to your skin like napalm, it doesn't have the horrible effects of that.

"Secondly, we have never used anything that even approximates to what they were using."

The new firebomb burns you but doesn’t stick to your skin. 

That’s OK then.

 

I know these recent posts are old stories but all in power say only what is least awkward for them.

“We can as much expect our politicians to reward themselves honestly as trust them to utter a truth of any inconvenience.”

Thanks again, MTG, for this.

6 comments:

  1. Don't mention it, Calum. I have to share my brilliance with the needy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very needy for brilliance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not just in this country...
    after the bomb in Madrid airport which killed two people, Zapatero described it as an 'accidente mortal' because he couldn't bring himself to admit that his attempt at dialogue with ETA had been a complete failure. He used the word accident on four separate occasions that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'You can't say civilization don't advance. ... for in every war they kill you another way.' [Will Rogers]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly civilisation advances apace but .... there is something not quite right about the statement you make.

    Let me take time to think where he flaw may be !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the quotation was but refering to the new firebomb.e

    So, is Mr. Read a man of truth?

    In order to not make another step backwards on my quest to become the politest blogger in all known universes and those yet to discover, I restrict myself to the following:
    Yes, in so far as Mr. Reed let's everyone know what kind of character he is.

    ReplyDelete