Sunday, 27 June 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee with Choral Music

Welcome again to another show.  As with other genres about which I knew nothing I started from scratch with no preconceived ideas or lists.  I listened and listened until I found about twenty pieces I liked and then I listened and listened again to reduce the number to eight.  Consequently I don’t know, nor do I care, if there are absolute standards which I have omitted. 

Every piece I love – my only criterion.

I hope you enjoy this little wander into choral music.  But don’t walk alone: take you coffee.

Mozart Requiem Mass in D Minor VIII – Hostias

         English Baroque Soloists and the Monteverdi Choir

So beautiful, so peaceful and then …. still beautiful.

_____

We change style and continent with a male choir from South Africa.

Inkanyezi Nezazi                      Ladysmith Black Mambazo

The notes with this video state,

“Ladysmith Black Mambazo is a male choral group from South Africa that sings in the vocal style of isicathamiya and mbube.”

I’ll take this as read and you can take it as read that this is wonderful.

UPDATE @08.15 27 June:  The original video could not be embedded and so I have switched vids.

I hope you agree with me.

_____

Bach - BWV 147 - 1 - Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben

      Choir Unknown; Conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt

Words fail me!

As with every other piece this was new to me but it will remain a long time. 

____

 

Rachmaninov – Unknown Russian Choral Music

                                                                       Unknown Choir

Unknown but solemn, dignified, rich and deep the bass voices give this piece so many of its qualities.  Wow!

_____

We move into the second half already with a different style again.  If you are able, please listen to this piece entirely with your eyes closed.  If you can’t manage this listen until the voices break in.  Then go back and watch the video.

Remember this starts very quietly

Africa                                                        Perpetuum Jazzile

Did you manage to listen to watch without watching.  Wasn’t that amazing?  I had never heard anything like this before and this had it’s place in the show on first hearing.

_____

O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing             Unknown Choir

A traditional hymn now.

This has no meaning to me as a hymn but as music this is absolutely fantastic.  I have listened so many times to this!

_____

Brahms    Sacred Choral Music  - Sanctus

                                                                RIAS Chamber Choir

UPDATE @ 09.15 27 June  I have just discovered that this video too has its embedding disabled.  I have been unable to find another version and so please watch on YouTube and return.  Sorry again!

I just don’t have the vocabulary to describe the music in this weeks show!  Sorry!

_____

We’re at the end of the show and it seems no time since we started.  Hopefully, “time flies etc” applies here.  We finish with Haydn

Haydn: Missa G major - Sancti Nicolai Hob. XXII, 6: Kyrie; Gloria

                                                  Augsburger Domsingknaben

Seven minutes of sheer wonder!

!!!!!

_____

This week’s show has been very different again: the voices make their music and we are, well I am at least, swept up and carried forth on a magical carpet of wonder.  [Sorry about the metaphors] 

Well, that’s it for another week.  I hope you enjoyed your coffee and the music.   Tune in again next week and thanks for listening.

7 comments:

  1. Splendid presentation. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Claudia, the pleasure is mine too.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's Sunday morning so this is a suitable way to start the day and a magic carpet ride seems a suitable metaphor Calum

    good stuff
    :)

    p.s.
    somebody said there was a football game today
    so I looked and so there is - Argentina v Mezico
    I'm looking forward to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That'll be why the radio is full of football talk. Let's hope for the right result. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the Rachmaninov is music of the Orthodox Christian church.

    you will find more of the same here-

    http://ancientfaith.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew a few of those - wonderful stuff. LBM were excellent.

    "This has no meaning to me as a hymn"

    Does to your Maker though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately, James, both my Makers departed this world some years ago.

    I doubt your Maker is bothered what is sung. :)

    ReplyDelete