Sunday, 11 July 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee with Willie Nelson

Welcome to  another Sunday Morning Coffee show – and I’m on a few days’ holiday – but I’m still very pleased to see you here.

We go this week with Willie Nelson who, from what I can see, always looked old and now he is old – 77 – but still going strong.  I’d heard of Willie Nelson but again I’d never heard his music until I started this show back in December 09.  Willie has been near the front of the queue for a while and now he gets his slot.

We start with a song I featured in my “Music in the Morning show with Allison Moorer.  Here is Willie.

Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground

Apologies.  Although embeddable this video doesn’t play on Blogger but it’s OK on YouTube.  Remember to come back after.

God, I’m feeling this!   Powerful. 

_____

 

Funny How Time Slips Away 

I hope I look better than Willie when I’m 64 but, for sure, he’ll make better music than I even when he’s 164.  Enjoy this.

I have strings inside that he’s playing.  Thank you, Willie.

_____

I apologise for the lack of biographical detail this week: I’m writing this when I should be getting ready to go on holiday!

In fact, the race of time has left me unable to add much in the way of comments but next week there’ll be less rush and we’ll return to normal.

_____

Pancho and Lefty                                 with Merle Haggard

Two greats and a great song.

_____

Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain

Two comments to pick out from YouTube,

“ …one of the most beautiful story tellers in son …”

“My mom said she could listen to Willie all day, as long as she didn't have to look at him!”

I can understand both comments.  Brilliant.

_____

 

Don’t Give Up                               with Sinead O’Connor

Having ducked for years, I’ve had to face up to a major problem this week which will have long-term implications for all of us. This song has brought me to tears but there was no doubt this was going in because it is so incredibly brilliant.

_____

 

We move on with a Kris Kristofferson song but nothing else changes – fabulous.

Please Don’t Tell Me How the Story Ends

_____

She Is Gone

Guess we have all experienced this at some time.

But it always matters more!

_____

 

Georgia on My Mind                               with Ray Charles

If I need to describe this then you are dead!

_____

Please Don’t Talk about Me when I’m Gone

A mere 300 or so views at the time of writing – very surprising.

There’s a very jazzy feel about this – quite different from the other choices.

_____

Here we are already near the end and just one song left.  This show has gone quickly for me, too quickly, but we are here and so Willie finishes with a peace song.

Whatever Happened to Peace on Earth

THANK YOU, WILLIE FOR REMINDING US!

_____

A difficult week so far for me, now nearing the end of our few days as farm-sitters and Willie’s songs have really touched me and moved me.  I hope you enjoyed this show which was put together much more quickly than normal.

Well, that’s it for another week.  I hope you enjoyed your coffee and the music.   Tune in again next week and thanks for listening.

2 comments:

  1. I understand what people see in him and Blue Eyes is not bad. He has much respect within the industry. I just could never get into Willie Nelson, don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a true minstrel
    saw him once on TV singing "Funny How Time Slips Away" and he prefaced it by saying "...well actually it's alarming how it slips away"
    :)
    and this one is cheesy but I love it-

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSAODcg--Dc

    God bless you Willie Nelson

    ReplyDelete