Tuesday, 24 August 2010

Bits’n’Pieces 1

Welcome to a new, but irregular, musical feature. On Bits’n’Pieces I’ll post, unsurprisingly, bits and pieces which don’t fit into “Music in the Morning” or “Sunday Morning Coffee”.

I hope you’ll enjoy this series too.

Today I start with two songs with virtually identical titles but born of very different ages.

First up is:

On the Sunny Side of the Street
                             Benny Goodman Sextet and Peggy Lee

There were lots of versions to choose from but I hadn’t played Goodman before plus I loved this slightly hissy version.

 

Now we go into something very different but still brilliant.

The Sunny Side of the Street                           The Pogues

Shane McGowan is a brilliant songwriter but his diction is not and so I’ve appended the lyrics below the video.

Seen the carnival at Rome
Had the women I had the booze
All I can remember now
Is little kids without no shoes
So I saw that train
And I got on it
With a heart full of hate
And a lust for vomit
Now I'm walking on the sunnyside of the street

Stepped over bodies in Bombay
Tried to make it to the USA
Ended up in Nepal
Up on the roof with nothing at all
And I knew that day
I was going to stay
Right where I am, on the sunnyside of the street

Been in a palace, been in a jail
I just don't want to be reborn a snail
Just want to spend eternity
Right where I am, on the sunnyside of the street

As my mother wept it was then I swore
To take my life as I would a whore
I know I'm better than before
I will not be reconstructed
Just wanna stay right here
On the sunnyside of the street

Absolutely brilliant.  I hadn’t heard this before but I will soon.  In fact it’s going on again … now.

5 comments:

  1. I am probably odd because I like both of those
    :)
    I also like this which is almost the same title-

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35po4lv_2oM&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I must be odd too!!

    and this one is great too - from 1928.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to dance to Benny Goodman. He made it easy to slide down. The lyrics were sunnier too. Who wants to end up in Nepal? But other versions interesting. Brought back kid's memories of cranking the gramophone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes indeedy Calum!
    the legendary Carter Family
    and their traditional music lived on through June Carter and her husband whatsisname....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff. I have the CD although I haven't played it for some time. Love the Old Grey Whistle Test music. Thanks for posting that.

    ReplyDelete