Thursday, 7 October 2010

Nobel Prize for Chemistry Could Have Been Mine

It’s a long shot I know but I read in Nature that:

“Richard Heck, Ei-ichi Negishi and Akira Suzuki won the award for their development of reactions that cleanly connect chains of carbon atoms, using small amounts of the metal palladium. The processes they uncovered for forming carbon–carbon bonds in the 1960s and 1970s are now a staple of chemistry textbooks, and are used every day in industry and academia.”

In the early 70’s I did my PhD in this field.  Had I kept going this could have been Dr Calum Nobel Laureate except ….. my thesis must have been one of the poorest ever to be awarded a PhD.

I think I was a good researcher but I wasn’t a good chemist.  Chemistry was totally wrong for me then and continued to be so for a large part of my working career. 

But …. if only!

4 comments:

  1. Ah well Calum you went further in science than I ever did... I was a rotten biochemist. I later found out that I was a rotten microbiologist and have the MSc to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jams, just took me much much longer to realise my mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you're both excellent:
    Jams, as an Informations (never-boring)Supplier.
    Calum, as a Music (never-boring) Provider.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you both did (and continue to do) better than me. I was a good microbiologist, but a rotten researcher.

    ReplyDelete