Sunday, 24 October 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee: Singalongasunday with the Dubliners

Hello again and welcome to another Sunday Morning Coffee show but today with a difference.  Normally I ask that you get a coffee, sit down and relax but not today.   You have to work.  Well perhaps not work but you need to sing.  Every song is chosen for its singability and to help you I’ve appended the lyrics.  There really is no excuse and I WILL know if you don’t sing.

My children, cats and even my neighbours have complained about the noises breaking out here but you will all be fine because your singing voices are better than mine.

If you want to listen only without the hassle of scrolling past all the lyrics then you can do so by clicking on this link to bring up the YouTube playlist.

Last point before we start.  I’ve put the lyrics into a pdf file which you can view or download here[Apologies the links in the document do not work properly in Acrobat but do in NitroPDF]

Let’s get going because we don’t have time to waste with 10 songs for you. 

Oh there’s still more to say: all the tracks are from the Dubliners and were posted by one person – AndreasSU – many thanks.  Get your coffee, put it somewhere safe, ready yourself, let’s go and raise the roof!

Black Velvet Band

In a neat little town they call Belfast, now apprentice to trade I was bound
And its many an hours sweet happiness, have I spent in that neat little town
Til a sad misfortune came over me, which caused me to stray from the land
Far away from me friends and relations, betrayed by the black velvet band

Her eyes they shone like diamonds
I thought her the queen of the land
And her hair it hung over her shoulder
Tied up with a black velvet band

I took a stroll with this pretty fair maid, and a gentleman passing us by
I knew she meant the undoing of me, by the look in her roguish black eye
Well a gold watch she took from his pocket and she placed it right in to my hand
And the very first thing that I thought was bad luck to the black velvet band

Her eyes they shone like diamonds
I thought her the queen of the land
And her hair it hung over her shoulder
Tied up with a black velvet band

Now before a judge and a jury, next morning I had to appear
O the judge he says to me: "Young man, your case it is proven clear
We'll give you seven years penal servitude, to be spent faraway from the land
Far away from your friends and relations, betrayed by the black velvet band"

Her eyes they shone like diamonds
I thought her the queen of the land
And her hair it hung over her shoulder
Tied up with a black velvet band

So come all you jolly young fellows a warning take by me
When you are out on the town me lads, beware of them pretty colleens
For they'll feed you with strong ale, "Ma Yah", 'til you are unable to stand
And the very first thing that you'll know, me lads, is you've landed in Van Diemens Land

Her eyes they shone like diamonds
I thought her the queen of the land
And her hair it hung over her shoulder
Tied up with a black velvet band

_____

 

Wild Rover

I've been a wild rover for many the year
And I've spent all me money on whiskey and beer,
But now I'm returning with gold in great store
And I never will play the wild rover no more.

And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

I partook to an ale-house I used to frequent
I told the landlady my money's all spent.
I asked her for credit, she answered me "nay
Such a custom like yours I could have any day."

And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

I took out of my pocket ten sovereigns bright
And the landlady's eyes opened wide with delight.
She said "I have whiskey and wine of the best
And the words that I told ye were only in jest."

And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

I'll go home to my parents, confess what I've done
I'll ask them to pardon the prodigal son.
And if they caress me as oft times before
I swear I will play the wild rover no more.

And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

_____

 

 Molly Malone

In Dublin's fair city
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheel barrow
Through the streets broad and narrow
Crying 'Cockles and mussels alive, alive ho'

Alive, alive ho', alive, alive ho'
Crying 'Cockles and mussels alive, alive ho'

She was a fishmonger
And sure 'twas no wonder
So were her father and mother before
And they both wheeled their barrows
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying 'Cockles and mussels alive, alive ho'

Alive, alive ho', alive, alive ho'
Crying 'Cockles and mussels alive, alive ho'

She died of a fever
And no one could save her
And that was the end of sweet Molly Malone
Now her ghost wheels her barrow
Through the streets broad and narrow
Crying 'Cockles and mussels alive, alive ho'

Alive, alive ho', alive, alive ho'
Crying 'Cockles and mussels alive, alive ho'

Alive, alive ho', alive, alive ho'
Crying 'Cockles and mussels alive, alive ho'

Alive, alive ho', alive, alive ho'
Crying 'Cockles and mussels alive, alive ho'

Alive, alive ho', alive, alive ho'
Crying 'Cockles and mussels alive, alive ho'

_____

 

 Leaving of Liverpool

Fare thee well to you my own true love,
I am sailing far, far away,
I am bound for California,
And I know that I'll return some day.

So fare thee well my own true love,
And when I return united we will be,
It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me,
But my darling when I think of thee.

I have sailed on a Yankee sailing ship
Davey Crockett is her name,
And Burgess is the captain of her,
And they say that she's a floating hell.

So fare thee well my own true love,
And when I return united we will be,
It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me,
But my darling when I think of thee.

I have sailed with Burgess once before,
He's a man I know right well,
If a man's a sailor then he will get along,
If not then he's sure in hell.

So fare thee well my own true love,
And when I return united we will be,
It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me,
But my darling when I think of thee.

Now the sun shines on the harbour, love,
I wish I could remain,
For I know it be a long,long time,
'Til I see you again.

So fare thee well my own true love,
And when I return united we will be,
It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me,
But my darling when I think of thee.

So fare thee well my own true love,
And when I return united we will be,
It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me,
But my darling when I think of thee.
But my darling when I think of thee.

_____

 

Fields of Athenry

By a lonely prison wall,
I heard a young girl calling
Michael they have taken you away,
For you stole Trevelyn's corn
So the young might see the morn,
Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay

Low lie, The Fields Of Athenry
Where once we watched the small free birds fly
Our love was on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing,
It's so lonely round the Fields of Athenry

By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young man calling
'Nothing matters Mary, when you're free'
Against the famine and the crown,
I rebelled, they cut me down
Now you must raise our child with dignity

Low lie, The Fields Of Athenry
Where once we watched the small free birds fly
Our love was on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing,
It's so lonely round the Fields of Athenry 

By a lonely harbour wall
She watched the last star falling
As the prison ship sailed out against the sky
For she lived in hope and pray
For her love in Bot'ny Bay
Its so lonely round the Fields Of Athenry

Low lie, The Fields Of Athenry
Where once we watched the small free birds fly
Our love was on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing,
It's so lonely round the Fields of Athenry

Low lie, The Fields Of Athenry
Where once we watched the small free birds fly
Our love was on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing,
It's so lonely round the Fields of Athenry

_____

 

Spanish Lady

As I roved out through Dublin City
At the hour of twelve at night
Who should I see but a Spanish lady
Washing her feet by candlelight
First she washed them then she dried them
Over a fire of ambry coals
In all my life I ne'er did see
A maid so sweet about the soles

Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay
Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay

I stopped to look but the watchman passed
Says he, "Young fellow, the night is late.
"Off with you now or I will wrestle you
"Straight way through the Bridewell gate."
Threw a look to the Spanish lady
Hot as the fire of ambry coals
In all my life I ne'er did see
A maid so sweet about the soles.

Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay
Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay

As I rolled back to Dublin City
Just before the dark was o'er
Who should I see but the Spanish lady
When I was weary and footsore
I got the look from the Spanish lady
Hot as the fire of ambry coals
In all my life I ne'er did see
A maid so sweet about the soles

Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay
Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay

I've wondered north and I've wondered south
Through Stoney Batter and Patrick's Close
Up and around by the Gloucester Diamond
And back by Napper Tandy's house
Old age has laid her hands upon me
Cold as a fire of ashy coals
In all my life I ne'er did see
A maid so sweet about the soles

Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay
Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay

Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay
Whack fol a too ra loo ra laddy
Whack fol a too ra loo ra lay

_____

 

 Irish Rover

On the Fourth of July 1806 we set sail from the sweet cove of Cork
We were sailing away with a cargo of bricks for the grand City Hall in New York
'twas a wonderful craft, she was rigged fore and aft and oh, how the wild wind drove her
She stood several blasts, she had twenty-seven masts and they called her the Irish Rover

We had one million bags of the best Sligo rags, we had two million barrels of stone
We had three million sides of old blind horses hides, we had four million barrels of bones
There were five million dogs, six million hogs and, seven million barrels of porter
There were nine million bails of old nanny-goats' tails all on board of the Irish Rover

There was awl Mickey Coote who played hard on his flute when the ladies lined up for a set
He was tootlin' with skill for each sparkling quadrille, though the dancers were fluther'd and bet
With his smart witty talk, he was cock of the walk and he rolled the dames under and over
They all knew at a glance when he took up his stance that he sailed in the Irish Rover

We had Barney McGee from the banks of the Lee, there was Hogan from County Tyrone
There was Micky McGurk who was scared stiff of work and a man from Westmeath called Malone
There was Slugger O'Toole who was drunk as a rule and Fighting Bill Treacy from Dover
And your man, Mick McCann from the banks of the Bann all on board of the Irish Rover

We had sailed seven years when the measles broke out and the ship lost it's way in the fog
And that whale of a crew was reduced down to two, just meself and the Captain's old dog
Then the ship struck a rock, Oh Lord! what a shock, the bulkhead was turned right over
Turned nine times around and the poor old dog was drowned, I'm the last of the Irish Rover

_____

Dicey Reilly

Oh poor old Dicey Reilly she has taken to the sup.
Oh poor old Dicey Reilly she will never give it up.
For it's off each morning to the pop,
And then she's in for another little drop,
And the heart of the rowl was Dicey Reilly.

Poor old Dicey Reilly she has taken to the sup.
Poor old Dicey Reilly she will never give it up.
It's off each morning to the pop,
And then she's in for another little drop,
For the heart of the rowl was Dicey Reilly.

Oh she walks along Fitzgibbon street with an independent air,
And then it's down be Summerhill and as the people stare
She says it's nearly half past one, and it's time I had another little one
Oh the heart of the rowl was Dicey Reilly

Poor old Dicey Reilly she has taken to the sup.
Poor old Dicey Reilly she will never give it up.
It's off each morning to the pop,
And then she's in for another little drop,
For the heart of the rowl was Dicey Reilly.

Oh long years ago when men were men and fancied May Oblong
Or lovely Beckie Cooper or Maggie's Mary Wong,
One woman put them all to shame, just one was worthy of the name,
And the name of that dame was Dicey Reilly

Poor old Dicey Reilly she has taken to the sup.
Poor old Dicey Reilly she will never give it up.
It's off each morning to the pop,
And then she's in for another little drop,
For the heart of the rowl was Dicey Reilly.

Oh but time went catching up with her like many pretty whores,
And it`s after you along the street before you`re out the doors,
Their looks all fade, and the balance weighed ah but out of all that great brigade,
Still the heart of the rowl was Dicey Reilly

Poor old Dicey Reilly she has taken to the sup.
Poor old Dicey Reilly she will never give it up.
It's off each morning to the pop,
And then she's in for another little drop,
For the heart of the rowl was Dicey Reilly.

Poor old Dicey Reilly she has taken to the sup.
Poor old Dicey Reilly she will never give it up.
It's off each morning to the pop,
And then she's in for another little drop,
For the heart of the rowl was Dicey Reilly.

_____

All for Me Grog

I'm sick in the head cos I haven't been to bed,                        
Since first I came ashore with me plunder.
I've seen centipedes and snakes, me head is full of aches,
And I think I'll take a path for way out yonder.

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog,                           
All for me beer and tobacco,          
I spent all me tin with the ladies drinkin' gin,          
Far across the western ocean I must wander.

Where are me boots, me noggin' noggin'  boots,                 
They're all sold for beer and tobacco.
For the soles, they got more thin and the uppers were lettin' in,       
And me feet were looking out for better weather. 

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog,       
All for me beer and tobacco,          
I spent all me tin with the ladies drinkin' gin,              
Far across the western ocean I must wander.

Now where is me shirt, me noggin' noggin' shirt,                           
It's all sold for beer and tobacco.              
For the sleeves they got worn out and the collar turned inside out      And the tail is looking out for better weather.

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog,           
All for me beer and tobacco,          
I spent all me tin with the ladies drinkin' gin,          
Far across the western ocean I must wander.

Where is me bed, me noggin' noggin' bed,               
It's all sold for beer and tobacco.                      
For the sheets they got  all worn  the mattress got all torn
And the springs are looking out for better weather.

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog,                   
All for me beer and tobacco,           
Well, I spent all me tin with the ladies drinkin' gin,            
Far across the western ocean I must wander.

Where is me wife, me noggin' noggin' wife,                       
She's all sold for beer and tobacco.                          
Her front it got wore out her arse was kicked about,                              
And I hope she's looking out for better weather.

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog,               
All for me beer and tobacco,           
well, I spent all me tin with the ladies drinkin' gin,                     
Far across the western ocean I must wander.

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog,                   
All for me beer and tobacco,           
Well, I spent all me tin with the ladies drinkin' gin,            
Far across the western ocean I must wander.

_____

 

Whiskey in the Jar

As I was a goin' over the far famed Kerry mountains
I met with captain Farrell and his money he was counting
I first produced me pistol and I then produced me rapier
Saying "Stand and deliver" for he were a bold deceiver

musha ring dumma do damma da
whack for the daddy 'ol
whack for the daddy 'ol
there's whiskey in the jar

I went up to my chamber, all for to take a slumber
I'd silver, gold and jewels and sure it was no wonder
Jenny took me pistol, she filled it up with water
Then sent for captain Farrell to be ready for the slaughter

musha ring dumma do damma da
whack for the daddy 'ol
whack for the daddy 'ol
there's whiskey in the jar

Early in the morning, just before I rose to travel
Up comes a band of troopers and likewise captain Farrell
I first produced me pistol for me rapier she had stolen
I couldn't shoot the water, and a prisoner I was taken

musha ring dumma do damma da
whack for the daddy 'ol
whack for the daddy 'ol
there's whiskey in the jar

If there's anyone can aid me 'tis my brother in the army
If I can find his station in Cork or in Killarney
If he'll go with me, we'll go rovin' in Killkenny
And I'm sure he'll treat me better than me sly deceivin' Jenny

musha ring dumma do damma da
whack for the daddy 'ol
whack for the daddy 'ol
there's whiskey in the jar

There's some take delight in the carriages a rolling
and others take delight in the hurling and the bowling
But I take delight in the juice of the barley
and courting pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early

musha ring dumma do damma da
whack for the daddy 'ol
whack for the daddy 'ol
there's whiskey in the jar

musha ring dumma do damma da
whack for the daddy 'ol
whack for the daddy 'ol
there's whiskey in the jar

_____

 

That’s all, folks.  A great singalong, coffee and no comments from me, what more could you ask for?  That I’ll be here next week.  OK, I’ll turn up again.

Drop by next week if you want, I’ll be here with some more music.

6 comments:

  1. What a nice bunch of jolly fellows! Didn't have a clue about them. I had heard Molly Malone before. Truly like the tune. I copied the words to sing them while playing. Thanks, Calum.

    Will be off the Internet for 10-12 days. Will catch up with all your music posts when I return. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. coffee?
    no chance!
    I'm off for a pint or two of the black stuff...
    I'll be back later to join you in this singaholic's heaven
    :)
    :)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only I had the opportunity to join you for a Guinness!!!!

    Perhaps if we open our back doors we can still have a duet ..... of sorts.

    Who needs the web?

    ReplyDelete
  4. aah that were joyfully jolly
    an' a' that

    and I put together two lines from two of the songs which perfectly show you my life-

    'Old age has laid her hands upon me'
    'But I take delight in the juice of the barley'

    and that life is wonderful still for a' that, an' a' that.

    :)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claude

    I'll try to keep the good music going while you're off.

    I hope you're on holiday but if not all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All good but Athenry always does it for me.

    ReplyDelete