Friday, 19 November 2010

Trafigura: Come back, Dr Busch !

Dr Gary K Busch (or Ocnus as he sometimes appears) and I have had many exchanges throughout the year, taking different sides on the Trafigura affair.  Dr Busch has been supportive of Trafigura and negative about the understanding and effects of greens and environmentalists.  I have tried to give a balanced picture although it is clear where my views lie.

I’ve had no contact with Dr Busch for about 2 months until yesterday when he said this in response to the embedded video in this post.  Ach, it’s easier just to embed it again.

Nova - Trafigura 17 Mei 2010 from Reform UK Libel Law on Vimeo.

Dr Busch said this as a comment:

“The same chap who is saying he was lying in his testimony had already published an article in an Ivoirian newspaper, well before meeting anyone from Trafigura, that he and the other drivers were unaffected by their contact with the liquids they were transporting. In which of his lies and retractions are we to find truth? Perhaps his motives are not to tell the truth but to live as a parasite on the misguided NGOs who seek an anchor for their flights of fancy.Perjury compounded by further perjury does not make truth.
18 November 2010 09:25

 

I replied thus,

I know of the interview to which you refer: in May this year Macfarlane's gave me a translation which I put online here.

Who knows if they told the truth in the interview and lie now or if they lied in the interview and tell the truth now?

I certainly don't know where the truth lies and nor can you unless you were much closer to Trafigura than you have let on.

Still I keep an open mind on the subject.

Is your mind still open?
18 November 2010 12:07

Dr Busch hasn’t replied.  I wish he wouldn’t run away from a simple question. 

Why would he run away?

I take his not having answered so far as “running away” but  perhaps I am being unfair.  There may well be a perfectly valid reason for his inaction.

But he does have form on this.  I’ll post about that later.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't run anywhere. I was out of contact for a while because I was engaged in other things. Despite your apparent fixation that I am linked to Trafigura I have nothing to do with them. My interest is in Africa and, especially, Ivory Coast. There has been no interest in the Ivory Coast on this although I understand there were some bleats from Greenpeace in Holland. What drew my attention back was the Greenpeace press release which accused President Gbagbo of corruptly pocketing the Trafigura settlement. The country is about to go into a Presidential runoff election this month and it was very poor timing of Greenpeace to make such allegations. No doubt the Ivory Coast government will deal with Greenpeace.

    As far as my reluctance to educate you on the various marine-based operations of gasoline blending, the mixing of feedstocks and blending stocks and the blending of bunker oil stocks, I was sure your skills at Google-searching required no input from me. I did not see this as my obligation as I was busy with productive work.

    On the driver's issue, you will see that I framed it as a question not a statement. How much more open could I be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ocnus

    Dr Busch

    You did indeed frame "it" as a question but you then went on to say,

    "Perhaps his motives are not to tell the truth but to live as a parasite on the misguided NGOs who seek an anchor for their flights of fancy. Perjury compounded by further perjury does not make truth."

    This is hardly the statement of one with an open mind on the subject.


    As regards your "reluctance to educate you on the various marine-based operations of gasoline blending, the mixing of feedstocks and blending stocks and the blending of bunker oil stocks, I was sure your skills at Google-searching required no input from me. I did not see this as my obligation as I was busy with productive work.", we were in the middle of an exchange of emails and you made this unsupported statement:

    "The sweetening of crude oil was relatively new when tried by Trafigura but there were other operations carried out on PROBOs which preceded this which made it clear that such an attempt would be possible."

    I asked you several questions about this statement but you chose not to answer. You and I know that, had you wanted to, you would have answered whether or not you were also engaged in "productive work". Not answering is your right as is my continuing to question you.

    Perhaps in a quiet spell - I assume you have them - you will answer these questions,

    "That you use "relatively new" suggests that sweetening was carried out previously on board ship. What info do you have re this? Who had done so? What ship(s)? What method? When? What waste was produced? Where was the waste disposed of and how?"

    "What other operations were carried out before the PK case? What ships? What products? What process? What waste? Where was the waste disposed of and how?"

    ReplyDelete