Sunday, 5 December 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee - Reprise of 2010 Music Part 1 (of 4)

Welcome to the first in a mini-series of four December shows: today and next Sunday we reprise a selection of music from the 200 or so ‘Music in the Morning’ posts and then on the 19th and 26th I reprise music from the last year’s ‘Sunday Morning Coffee’ – about 50 shows and more than 350 tracks.  As is normal now each show will have 10 tracks.

The selection has been incredibly difficult but I’ve listened to hundreds of tracks and let those which really grab me now float upwards towards the final cut.  I’ve tried to ignore previous feelings about the music so that the selection is as fresh as possible.

I hope you enjoy the shows.

I’m sure you know the routine – that hasn’t changed.  Get a coffee, a comfy seat, sit down, relax and let the music transport you to …. wherever.

 

Our first music is the gorgeous second movement of one of Albinoni’s oboe concertos. Wikipedia says this:

Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni (8 June 1671 – 17 January 1751) was a Venetian Baroque composer. While famous in his day as an opera composer, he is mainly remembered today for his instrumental music, some of which is regularly recorded such as the concertos.

Albinoni: Oboe Concerto in D Minor, Op. 9, No. 2:
II. Andante                                Oboe  -  Jacques Chambon

Chamber Orchestra of the Sarre Radio conducted by Karl Ristenpart

This piece has a simple contemplative feel but as though one is contemplating a life which is fulfilled.  I’m probably wrong although, I guess, it means whatever it means to each of us.

A lovely gentle start to today’s programme.

_____

 

We continue with another gentle piece, this time Bach.

Bach:   Chorale for organ "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme"                                                  Bernard Foccroulle

Waves of sound vibrate through my body.  I could listen to this all day but I have little time to waste.

_____

 

Next up is  a lovely Stephen Foster song, Slumber My Darling. 

According to Wikipedia, Foster (1826 – 1864)[was] ’known as the "father of American music", was the pre-eminent songwriter in the United States of the 19th century. His songs — such as "Oh! Susanna", "Camptown Races", "Old Folks at Home" ("Swanee River"), "Hard Times Come Again No More", "My Old Kentucky Home", "Old Black Joe", and "Beautiful Dreamer" — remain popular over 150 years after their composition.’

Slumber My Darling
Alison Krauss, Mark O'Connor, Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer

Four brilliant soloists plus Foster, of course, touch my heart.

_____

 

Are we fourth up already?

We hear Paul Robeson singing about Joe Hill who has a place at the head of those who fought for workers’ rights.  On the anniversary of his murder Harry Giles, in a long post, said

“He was killed 95 years ago today, murdered by government firing squad for a crime he didn’t commit. But he never died.”

To read more about Joe, please visit Harry Giles here.  The story is well worth reading and repeating.

Joe Hill                                                                Paul Robeson

Unfortunately, we still need Joe Hill but we are lucky to have his memory …. but then he never died.

_____

 

We reach half-time with one of the best voices to come out of the folk revival in the 60’s – Sandy Denny.  Sandy was taken from us far, far too early: she died in 1978 a few weeks after a fall down stairs.  She too lives on through her music and we celebrate her life with this wonderful song.

Who Knows Where the Time Goes? 
                                              Sandy Denny  and The Strawbs

A legend!

_____

You can take a break now – I have.  We’ll restart when you’re ready.

That’s me waiting for you now; a roll, a mug of coffee, a stretch of my ageing legs is enough …. oh and some biscuits now!

You’re sitting comfily with a top-up? Let’s go again.

_____

 

The second-half kicks off with another folk-singer, Kate Rusby, who has featured three times on “Music in the Morning”.  She has been dubbed the “Barnsley Nightingale”  and you’ll understand why the second word was chosen when you hear her award-winning song, “Who Will Sing Me Lullabies”.

Who Will Sing Me Lullabies                                Kate Rusby

Lay me down gently, lay me down low,
I fear I am broken and won't mend, I know.
There’s one thing I ask when the stars light the skies,
Who now will sing me lullabies,
Oh who now will sing me lullabies.

In this big world I'm lonely, for I am but small,
Oh angels in heaven, don't you care for me at all?
You’ve heard my heart breaking for it rang through the skies,
So why won't you sing me lullabies,
Oh why won't you sing me lullabies.

I lay here; I'm weeping for the stars they have come,
I lay here not sleeping; now the long night has begun.
The man in the moon, oh he can't help but cry,
For there's no one to sing me lullabies,
No there's no one to sing me lullabies.

So lay me down gently, oh lay me down low,
I fear I am broken and won't mend, I know .
There’s one thing I ask now the stars light the skies,
Who now will sing me lullabies,
Oh who now will sing me lullabies
Oh, lullabies!

Who will sing me to sleep
Who will sing me to sleep
Who will sing me to sleep
Who will sing me to sleep
Who will sing me to sleep
Who will sing me to sleep
Who will sing me

Ah!  Beautiful!

Who amongst us doesn’t have the need for the occasional – or more often – lullaby? 

_____

 

The last four choices are all classical pieces and the first of these is a baroque piece from the hand of the now virtually unknown Maurizio Cazzati (1616 – 1678).  Don’t be put off by his obscurity, you’re about to hear a great performance of a great composition.

I loved this when I first heard it and I love it now.  Magical!

_____

Our eighth piece is a very, very well-known Liszt composition  - Liebestraum - played by sister and brother.  I hadn’t realised until now that Liebestraum  - dream of love - actually referred to three poems put to music.   Three different stages of love are: exalted (religious) love, erotic love and unconditional mature love.  In common usage Liebestraum links to the third piece – “mature love”.

Two lines (translated, of course) from this poem are,

Love as long as you can!
The hour will come when you will stand at the grave and mourn

Liszt:  Liebestraum for cello and piano
                                    Selli (cello) and Kalle (piano) Toivio

The cello gives this so much depth and  emotion.  Wonderful …. again.

____

Oh no!  Just two more to go.  This week has simply disappeared before my keyboard.

Second last for us is a self-conducted chamber orchestra – Boston’s ‘A Far Cry’  - with one of the three famous concerti by Francesco Geminiani (No. 3).

Geminiani: Concerto Grosso no.3 in C major,
I. Adagio & II. Allegro                                             A Far Cry

Sheer brilliance; subtlety and complexity.

_____

The show reaches its endpoint with a rousing rendition of the famous “Pa-pa-pa-pa” which shows a situation which could only arise on the stage.  Fabulous!

Mozart:  Pa-pa-pa-pa from the Magic Flute
                                      Cecilia Bartoli and Bryn Terfel

Cecilia and Bryn are perfect in this “silly” aria which brings our show to a close.

_____

Next week we continue with the final 10 videos selected for the Reprise from my “Music in the Morning” series.  I can guarantee brilliant music.

Thank you for visiting and staying to the end of the show.  I hope to see you again next Sunday.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say...Maybe it's the variety. Maybe it's that each one is the best of its kind. But I'm having a marvellous time. And I'm returning for a second round.

    Merci de tout coeur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, There is no vote on this site.
    :)

    I'm glad I haven't put myself into the position of picking one. I would if I had a gun to my head but otherwise I'll settle with all of them.

    Claude You make me feel so good! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the music as always ...but I was so looking forward to Calum doing his deejay thing to make it into a sunday morning coffee podcast
    :)


    (not that I have one of those i-pod things, whatever they are)

    ReplyDelete
  4. JD I'm sorry you were disappointed but you must realise that we media celebrities cannot always do what our devoted fans ask for. We must retain creative control. To do otherwise would leave us with a fans' programme which did not require a star! That would never do.

    :)

    I can always dream!

    There is no fool ....

    Pride .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a nice 'Around Midnight Tea', Calum. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete