Sunday, 19 December 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee - Reprise of 2010 Music Part 3 (of 4)

Less than a week to Christmas and we’re already at the third of the mini-series in which I reprise music from 2010.  The last two shows featured music from my ‘Music in the Morning’ posts (Part 1 and Part 2).  Today and on Boxing Day I reprise music from ‘Sunday Morning Coffee’. 

Somehow I have managed to reduce the possibles down to the twenty I needed for the two shows.  I should say that I selected on the basis of how the music affected me now and had nothing to do with how I felt when first featured.  I hope you enjoy my choices.

If you’re new then you need to know the process.   Get yourself a coffee, find a comfortable seat, sit down, relax and prepare to let the music enter your soul.

Ready?

Let’s start then.

_____

 

I defy you to sit still as the brilliant Galician piper, Carlos Nunez, leads his band in this bright, bouncy and brilliant number.

Pasacorredoiras                                               Carlos Nunez

Fabulous!  My hands, feet and legs were on the go keeping time.

_____

 

We move to the sublime with Julian Bream’s rendition of a lovely Villa-Lobos composition.

Villa-Lobos:  Gavotte Choro  from Suite Populaire Bresilienne                                                          Julian Bream

Each note is perfect as the piece tiptoes its magical path.  The word that slips forward to describe this is ‘serene’, not a word I often use but which is so appropriate ….. for me as I listen to this again.

_____

 

Of all those featured in the ’Sunday Morning Coffee’ shows, Rod Stewart was, in many ways, the most surprising.  I had dismissed Rod and his music to the bin, never to be pulled out.  When, for reasons I can’t remember now, I made myself listen my views were transformed: I loved the songs, the performances and the sheer joy of the concerts.  I was out of my seat – coffee placed safely – pumping my arms and singing loudly.

I felt the same way when I listened again to his music for this show.  Enjoy Rod again with me.

Reason to Believe                                              Rod Stewart

[There is an edit jump at 52sec in – don’t worry.]

Wow!

_____

 

Ah, time to sit down quietly now and appreciate the much more subtle talents of this lady.  It’s a pity about the rambling Jonathan Ross at the beginning and end of the video.

Verdi Cries                                                 Natalie  Merchant

The man in 119 takes his tea alone.
Mornings we all rise to wireless verdi cries.
I'm hearing opera through the door.
The souls of men and women, impassioned all.
Their voices climb and fall; battle trumpets call.
I fill the bath and climb inside, singing.

He will not touch their pastry
But every day they bring him more.
Gold from the breakfast tray, i steal them all away
And then go and eat them on the shore.

I draw a jackal-headed woman in the sand,
Sing of a lover's fate sealed by jealous hate
Then wash my hand in the sea.
With just three days more I'd have just
about learned the entire score to aida.

Holidays must end as you know.
All is memory taken home with me:
The opera, the stolen tea, the sand drawing,
The verging sea, all years ago.

_____

 

Fifth up is the late John Martyn who displays really deep emotion as he reflects on the break-up of his marriage.  The first few bars say so much about what follows but listen out too for the 3 minute guitar solo with which Martyn finishes this classic.

Hurt in Your Heart                                             John Martyn

It takes a big man to write, play and sing like this.  Thanks, John!

_____

The half-time whistle has gone.  You can turn round now if you want but if you feel the need for a wee break please feel free to take the time you need.  I’ll be ready to start when you come back.

_____

 

Right.  Let’s restart with a great singalong.  I want you singing!

Molly Malone                                                     The Dubliners

Singalongs don’t come any better than this.

_____

 

Seventh up is our only choral piece: a magical Bach composition.

Bach - BWV 147 - 1 - Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben
       Choir Unknown; Conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt

I love this so much.  The beauty sweeps me up and takes me towards peace …. for a few moments …. only.

_____

 

Only three tracks left but that is still more than twenty minutes of magic for you.  Richard Thompson is a brilliant songwriter  - a poet - and guitarist.  Here is his poetry at its best.

Dimming of the Day                                Richard Thompson

I wish I could write words like this.  No chance, he’s a master.

_____

 

This time last year I would never have listened beyond the first few bars but my openness to music has increased so much that not only do I listen to this I can’t get enough of it.  Here we have the absolutely wonderful Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (tragically he passed away in 2005) playing with Chris McBride.  Sit back, close your eyes and let the music wash in, through and over you.

Bye Bye Blackbird      
           Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen and Chris McBride

Words fail me!

_____

 

Too soon, far too soon, the show must end but there can be no finer way than with this masterpiece – Bruch and Perlman. 

Concerto No 1 – Mvt 2                                 Itzhak Perlman

[Unfortunately the audio is slightly hissy]

Again I have no words to describe this, not because I cannot find them but because there are NO words in the English language!

_____

 

If you fancy listening to more music by any of these artists or reading my original posts the Table below gives links for each post and for the equivalent YouTube playlist.

Track

Artist Post Playlist

1

Carlos Nunez Post 1 Playlist 1

2

Julian Bream Post 2 Playlist 2

3

Rod Stewart Post 3 Playlist 3

4

Natalie Merchant Post 4 Playlist 4

5

John Martyn Post 5 Playlist 5

6

The Dubliners Post 6 Playlist 6

7

Choral Post 7 Playlist 7

8

Richard Thompson Post 8 Playlist 8

9

NHOP Post 9 Playlist 9

10

Itzhak Perlman Post 10a and 10b Playlist 10

_____

 

Thank you for listening.  When next we meet Christmas Day will have passed but on Boxing Day the final part of my 2010 Music reprise will feature 10 more tracks from ‘Sunday Morning Coffee’.

Have a great Christmas and I’ll speak to you again in 7 days time.

3 comments:

  1. Now that was a hell of a collection - loved the first one, not least for the fiddlers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, James, I loved this show too. I hope next week's lives up to that standard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great entertainment. I decorated the Christmas Tree while listening. Good company. Merci et Joyeux Noël!

    ReplyDelete