Sunday, 26 December 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee – Reprise of 2010 Music Part 4 (of 4)

Christmas is just past: I hope you all had, and continue to have, a great time.  Our 2010 Music Reprise programmes come to an end with another 10 videos from previous ‘Sunday Morning Coffee’ shows. [The previous 3 shows are here: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3]

Coffee, seat, sit, relax, listen and I’ll start.  You all know the routine by now.

An incredibly beautiful white winter has been with us in Edinburgh for a few weeks now but this is nothing when compared with Itzhak Perlman’s performance.  Sit back and love.

Vivaldi: Four Seasons - Winter  II Largo   Itzhak Perlman

Zubin Mehta and the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra

The beauty inherent in the Vivaldi’s notes is brought bursting to our ears with an apparent ease bordering on the ridiculous.

_____

I have loved John Prine’s music for more than 30 years but still I hear it as though it were new.  ‘Lake Marie’ continues to do everything for me.

Lake Marie                                                               John Prine

Aaaaaah!!!

Magical.

_____

This video captures the manic brilliance of Ian Anderson.

Songs from the Wood                                           Jethro Tull

I am a very late convert to Anderson’s music but I’m so thankful that I have got there at last.

_____

 

Mark O’Connor is a brilliant fiddler, violinist, guitarist and composer.  Here we feature one of Mark’s compositions and the magical interplay between O’Connor and his two friends.

Emily's Reel       Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, Mark O'Connor

My feet, legs, hands, arms and head were all keeping time.  Lovely!

_____

 

Ry Cooder is another of my favourites from my much younger days but his music is still extraordinary.  This track has a fabulous 3 minute instrumental in the middle. 

How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live  
                                                                                  Ry Cooder

Mmmmmm  Delicious

_____

We’ve reached the interval already.  You can take a break if you want.  I’m about to have a cup of coffee and something small – hopefully – to eat and then we’ll restart.

That’s my coffee half-finished, some biscuits absolutely finished and now I’m ready to go again.

_____

 

This may seem a strange choice but this version is perfect.  Relax and let this wash over you and I’m sure you’ll agree about perfection.

Across The Universe          Liam O'Maonlai & Eddi Reader

I love this.

_____

 

Seventh up is Warren Zevon.  Pay attention to the humming with which the song ends.

Desperados under the Eaves                      Warren Zevon

with Jackson Browne

Warren was a wordsmith of extraordinary skill but, thankfully, he leaves a significant body of work for us all to enjoy for all time. 

_____

Our third last video surprised me when I first listened to it and I got the same reaction this time.  Loved it to bits.  Elvis and Lou in great form.

Perfect Day                              Lou Reed and Elvis Costello

The previous Calum would have ridiculed this music.  Change at my age!  Amazing! 

Lou and Elvis – much more amazing!

_____

 

We have two artists and just under ten minutes of the mini-series to go but this is ten minutes to die for.

Glenn Gould rides shotgun to our last singer but a shotgun has never sounded so fabulous.  I say no more now, or after, in case I distract you.

Brahms: Intermezzo no:2 in A major Op. 118  
                                                                                Glenn Gould

_____

 

My whole body reverberates as Tom Waits sings.  He is one of my finds of the year.

Tom is a poet whose musicality can be hidden by the initial shock of hearing his voice but if ever shock was worth getting over this is it.

Never Let Go                                                           Tom Waits

Never let go?  We won’t, Tom!

_____

 

All the music in the mini-series is available through the Reprise playlist on YouTube – click here

If you fancy listening to more music by any of these artists or reading my original posts the Table below gives links for each post and for the equivalent YouTube playlist.

Track

Artist Post Playlist

1

Itzhak Perlman Post 1a and 1b Playlist 1

2

John Prine Post 2 Playlist 2

3

Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull Post 3 Playlist 3

4

Mark O’Connor Post 4a and 4b Playlist 4

5

Ry Cooder Post 5 Playlist 5

6

Liam O'Maonlai & Eddi Reader Post 6 Playlist 6

7

Warren Zevon Post 7 Playlist 7

8

Elvis Costello – Spectacle Post 8 Playlist 8

9

Glenn Gould Post 9 Playlist 9

10

Tom Waits Post 10 Playlist 10

_____

Thank you to all who have listened throughout the year.  You have played a massive part in keeping the shows going.

Two weeks ago the show passed its first anniversary and only two weeks were missed.  I have surprised myself.

More surprising has been the enjoyment I have found through listening, culling, listening, writing and listening.  I had no idea that music was so important to me nor did I expect to have embraced so many artists and genres which were beyond my experience.

Next week we have the first show of 2011.  Let’s make the new year as musical as 2010.

Once more, many thanks for tuning in.  You have been brilliant.

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Calum. Thanks for the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, calum.

    I tried to comment a while ago but my computer crashed in the middle. What I was going to say was that I'm a Rod Stewart fan - as long as I don't have to look at him ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,

    That's a bit like me: everyone likes me until they get to know me!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete