Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Music in the Morning No 421 – Martin Simpson

 

Today’s music was very close to being dumped from my playlist!

Martin is a brilliant folk guitarist but his rendering of three Celtic airs was too classical, taking the music too far from its normal style.  I could appreciate the playing but it was wrong.

Fortunately, I realised that I was wrong: I had constrained the music by stating how it should be played.  I wanted it as I had always known it.  How closed was I.

Relax and let the music speak as though I had never heard the airs before. 

I was free and the music was now free to weave its magic within me.

What will it do for you?

 

Medley of Celtic Airs                                                         Martin Simpson

[The 3 tunes are: 'Rosie Anderson', 'The Shearing's Not For Me', and 'Bogie's Bonny Belle'.]

 

A level of beauty never before revealed.

That was close.

1 comment:

  1. Musicians will always experiment with styles of other musical genres. Jimmy Page for example playing a piece by Chopin on his electric guitar. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    This one worked beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete